Build Your Skills, Not Your Resume – Sandberg
- If you’re offered a seat on a rocketship, don’t ask what seat, just get on.
- Build your skills, not your resume.
- Don’t plan too much, and don’t expect a direct climb.
- Your strength will not come from your place in some org chart, your strength will come from building trust and earning respect.
You are going to need talent and skill and imagination and vision, but more than anything else, you’re going to need the ability to communicate authentically – to speak so that you can inspire the people around you, and to listen, so that you continue to learn each and every day on the job.
- All of us – especially leaders – need to speak and hear the truth.
- As you get more senior, not only will people speak less clearly to you, but they will overreact to small things you say.
- Three, that you remain true to, and open about, your authentic self.